Sunday, March 8, 2009 at 11:37 AM |

My friend commented on my Facebook and it goes: "Confucius says: Your great American dream lies in your own hand..." Well, it's true that as a well-able young man, I can do everything in my power to make things happen. But recent developments and news from people I know leave even Confucius asking, is the American dream lies ONLY in ones hands?

There is devastating situation with the USCIS Service Centers. Based on reliable sources the Service Centers are now denying all H-1B petitions filed on behalf of Physical Therapists and Occupational Therapists, despite of the fact that the PTs and OTs have the requisite license. USCIS is taking the position that a Masters degree is the requirement for entry into the position and these Beneficiary does not possess a Masters degree.

I do not personally understand and am still trying to think of the reasons about the USCIS' actions and decision. Application for a foreign-graduate and trained PT or OT to work in the United States costs a significant amount of money and energy. And with the chosen state of the applicant, that particular state determines (through FCCPT) who is eligible for licensure to practice the profession in that particular state. Bakit may biglang mga ganun?

My dream (and others dreams) is (are) starting to look more like a nightmare. It saddens me to know that every single day, my American dream seems to be far from my own reach. It depresses me to know that the fulfillment of my childhood dream is far beyond my control. And what is more frustrating is to realize that my pursuit of happiness in the country I used to believe as the land of all possibilities, seems to be uncertain.

My possible employer told me not to worrymuch because immigration lawyers and another concerned people are ready to fight. As what somebody told me, there are no legal basis for the USCIS's decision. I know that is another challenge for me and for all those who want to live the American dream. And we will soon overcome it. If that happens, the American dream will be much sweeter!

But if worse comes to worst, I should start considering working elsewhere, maybe in some parts of Europe or the land down under. After all, the world does not mean US or living the American dream alone. There are other promising places that I can choose.


---
I googled the photo.
Posted by rehabman Labels: , , ,

0 comments:

Visit the Site
MARVEL and SPIDER-MAN: TM & 2007 Marvel Characters, Inc. Motion Picture © 2007 Columbia Pictures Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved. 2007 Sony Pictures Digital Inc. All rights reserved. blogger template by blog forum